Tuesday, February 7, 2012

You'll Never Walk Alone




Thank goodness for Ian (Rankin), Tina (Fey), Philippa (Gregory), and Jeffrey (Deaver). And it never hurts to throw in Adele, Lady Antebellum, The Bee Gees, and some Mumford and Sons. If it were not for them I might not even head out the door for my (semi) daily walks. Combine them with my silky voiced GPS reminder on how far, how fast, and how long I've walked and I find I have all the company I need for these lovely spring day, er winter day, strolling sessions. (It's much more fun to go on a stroll then a fitness walk don't you think?)

" 3 (pause) 2 (pause) 1 (pause) Go!" That's what my GPS says in a gentle, encouraging tone as I hit the Start Track button. Now there is no pausing to tie my shoelaces, take a drink of water, or lock the door. The timer is ticking, the miles are tracking, and the speed is being calculated from a satellite far above me.  She whispers in my ear every 10  minutes giving me the updates. "20 minutes completed. You have covered 1.21 miles. Your average speed is 3 point 6 miles per hour". Amazing how she encourages me to pick up the speed to beat yesterday's walk.

In between coaching I listen to audio books. I am a real sucker for an English accent so Philippa Gregory's books lull me into wanting to walk all day. Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus is always in some sort of trouble and I am occupied trying to remember which characters are bad guys and which are good, while enjoying the narrators lovely Scottish Brough. Tina Fey makes my step lighter with her humor, although her "accent" is American Midwest, and I find myself walking faster when Jeffrey Deaver's James Bond is in a pickle. One of my favorite books to listen to was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Think Sean Connery in your ear for 3 miles. Very nice.

When all else fails there's music. Try walking slow to "Staying Alive". No way is that possible. Today Adele was trying to "Set Fire to the Rain" (whatever that means) and I found myself swinging my arms to get my heart rate up.

Thank goodness I don't have a walking partner that expects me to keep up a conversation. I have all the company I need right in my ear buds.

1 comment:

  1. My exercise buddies are jog.fm and "Game of Thrones" on the Nook Color. I'm liking music I didn't even know I had.

    ReplyDelete