Monday, March 25, 2013

Is It Spring Yet?

My calendar says it is Spring. The view out the window says different.



People are scurrying around under black umbrellas to ward off the freezing moisture. The skyline is hazy with low lying clouds. Puffs of steam blow out of rooftop exhausts. The city looks gritty, glum, and grey. The winter scarves, coats, gloves, and hats are yet to be stuck to the back of the closet. Had I not already attended a garden show in Philadelphia earlier this month heralding the best and brightest plants for the coming season I would swear everyone was getting ready to hunker down for a long winters nap.

Thank goodness for the "flower corners" all over NYC. You can hardly walk two blocks without encountering flower venders attached to the bodegas and deli's . Hydrangeas, tulips, fragrant hyacinths (I have yet to pass a stand without inhaling deeply into one of these potted beauties), and daffodils. On days like this it helps so much to be able to bring a little spring into the apartment.  As long as I can see evidence of the current season I retain hope it will actually arrive. Soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment