Tuesday, March 26, 2013

More Than Words

Screenshot

It has become a nightly ritual. Wash my face. Brush my teeth. Tuck into bed. Play my Word.

Words With Friends grabbed my attention a couple of years ago and I quickly developed a habit. Let everyone else do their online farming, soldiering, be-jeweling, or Angry Birding. I was never a hugh fan of Scrabble growing up but I am content to electronically draw consonants and vowels (just exactly what am I suppose to do with 3 O's, 2 E's, 1 A, and a U?) to AMAZE (with a Triple Letter space that word could rack up some points!) my friends with some real ZINGERS (a nice Triple Word space entry).

When I first started playing I would sit for a few minutes (or more) playing with a random opponent inputting Word after Word, completing an entire game within an hour or so.  Finally, I convinced my mom and a couple of friends that this game was what smartphones were invented for. A daily ritual started. They know I play my Word late at night. I know they all play their Words first thing in the morning.  I concede at least two of them are heavily caffeinated and sharp thinkers that early in the day whereas I am fighting to keep my eyes open before going to sleep. That just makes an (occasional) victory over them that much sweeter.

A couple of months ago we lost connectivity for a night. Unable to play my Words I woke up to find one of my friends thought I was sick, the other suggesting my attendance at an inaugural ball had kept me up much too late. That's what makes Words with Friends so much more than just Words. It's nice to see those friend's monikers pop up and know for just a moment that I am envisioning Friend L. sitting in her living room easy chair and Friend M. at her kitchen counter while they are "seeing" me here in NY when they play their words. My mother, on the other hand, will only place a phone call to me after consecutive days of non-play. Which is to say my mother VERY seldom calls. But along those same lines I find it comforting to see her Word pop in every morning. She's letting me know she is up and has her wits about her.

At least enough to confound me with a QI on a Triple Word space.


No comments:

Post a Comment