Monday, May 21, 2012

Graduation

It seems like only yesterday..........you know how those stories go.

I am cleaning out my photo albums and came across some timely photos. High school graduation.  As I see the pictures of local graduates hit our newspaper I can't believe it was 40 (!) years ago this month that I walked with my 72 classmates across the stage of the municipal building to accept my diploma. I was one of the last, between Becky Wichers and Steve Williams. After the ceremony we went to the basement to turn in our gowns and it was there that this picture was captured. I don't remember who took it, only that several of us were crying and hugging just prior to it being taken.


Four of us in that photo gather annually to talk about life as mothers, career women, being retired or wanting to retire, kids, the loss of parents, the aches and pains of aging (What!?), and compiling our "You have to read this" list. These are the women that "knew me when" and I love that about them.

I don't know what my other classmates are doing these days. Even though I grew up in a small town it is easy to lose track of those that move away. Hopefully their lives have been blessed with health and happiness and they are entering the retirement years planning trips with grand kids, taking that class they always wanted to take, starting a new hobby, or sitting in place a little longer to enjoy a nice view. However, knowing how our "retirement" years will be very different from those of our parents it is just as likely that my classmates are running marathons, becoming first time parents (heaven forbid!), traveling the globe with just a backpack, or writing a first novel.

Here's to you, Class of '72.


1 comment:

  1. This post was the best reunion I've ever attended. Thank you! (We are smart and we are new, we're the class of SEVENTY-TWO!)

    ReplyDelete