Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sisters are for Sharing

The conversations/negotiations/heated discussions continue about what we are going to throw away, store, sell, or move.  Finally we were ready to load up one 14' U-Haul truck with items to "share" with my sister and her husband.

"Use anything and everything we bring up," we said. 

"It will just go to waste if you don't use it," we encouraged.  

"You KNOW anything you bring up is still yours and we will return it when you are ready for it. Riiiiight?" my sister inquires as she eyes a marble table, Tiffany-type lamp, and garden ornaments.

Knowing that I am storing sharing these items with a family member makes me feel much better about ever seeing them again.  Even if the items get incorporated into my sister's decor and the guy stuff goes straight to the shed for my BIL to use in his daily chores on the farm. Actually, some things we have just given them outright. I don't care if I ever see those metal shelves, or the cabinets we removed when upgrading the hearth room, or the 007 posters.  BUT here are some items I hope I can retrieve if we ever put down roots again..........


My limestone garden bench has already found a home next to the outhouse (non-functioning I am happy to report) in my sister's backyard. This is the third move for this heavy, heavy bench but I just can't seem to give it up. It was quarried near my hometown and my niece measured a fish she caught in our backyard pond on it by making a hash mark on the seat with a rock. The hash mark is long gone but the memory of the fun times we've had sitting on it haven't.





Hector, my garden ornament that has had more hairstyles than a 12 year-old pageant contestant, is comfortable in my sister's sitting room. Normally he has to endure the outdoor weather and some really bad "hair" plantings so I'm not sure I will be able to convince him to come back to me.







This little table sat between my sister's and my twin beds when we were growing up. Sometimes there were boxes of Kleenex on it, sometimes a vase of lilacs. It moved with me to my first apartment forty years ago and now is back home where it should be. I think it's there to stay.



Thank goodness I have a sister who likes big houses with lots of storage sharing space!


No comments:

Post a Comment