Monday, July 15, 2013

Alaska Wine

"Did you know that Alaska has a wine?" our tour guide in Denali National Park asked a couple of weeks ago.

I had opened the bus window just a crack to enjoy the cool, fresh mountain air and began wondering what type of wine Alaska would produce. A hint of blueberry and pine with notes of salmon? 

"Yes," he continued, "the Alaska wine starts around November and sounds something like this," and he proceeded using the voice of a tired cranky five year old.

"It's cold here. When can we go to Arizona?"
"I'm tired of the snow. Is Hawaii in our budget this winter?"
"When is it going to start warming up?"

Ah, yes, the Alaskan w-h-i-n-e.

I know the feeling. Only now that we are back in NYC my "wine" sounds more like this, 

"It's HOT here. Can we go back to Alaska?"
"Do I HAVE to walk to the grocery store? It's too hot."
"Is it fall yet?"

I think I'll just grab a good Pino Noir and sit this week out in front of the air conditioner.

                        




No comments:

Post a Comment