Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Shades of Grey

Ah ha! Gotcha. No, this will not be a discourse on the appropriateness of a certain trilogy of books that recently spent a bazillion weeks on the best seller list. This is about picking the right shade of grey for a house, loving grey days, and trying to get rid of a certain grey area in my life. 

The Paint
Long story short: The two glorious years in NCY are coming to an end. We are scheduled to arrive back in The Midwest on July 30th. A new residence has been purchased and plans to prepare the new
nest were discussed during the last trip "home".  Bathroom cabinets will be raised, sconces will be removed (who uses sconces in every room of a house as their only light source!?), a shower door will be added, and every wall will be freshly painted. But what color to paint? Oh my, the choices.

I have always loved using the color grey as my neutral when decorating. Peach and grey were the interior colors of my very first home lots of years ago and since then I do believe every paint company has added thousands of grey shades to their color pallets. I'm taking the plunge and painting all the walls in our new house some variation of grey. I am hoping I do not walk in and think that I have just entered a prison cell. It would make me very sad to feel like I am carrying out some type of prison sentence. Jail cells are not known for making a person feel warm and fuzzy but I'm convinced it's going to be all about the accessories. I'll let you know.

The Weather
Mmmmmm. Today has been one of those fantastically rainy, dreary, grey days. This type of weather is my favorite. Not that I don't like fresh spring days and colorful fall days, but there is just something about the grey days that make me fell cocooned. It's a nap day, a reading day, a chore day. These are the days I feel like I am living in a black and white photo. There is just something nostalgic about a grey day.

And Finally.........
I began to notice the roots of my hair becoming much more grey a few weeks ago and decided to ignore it. Yesterday I realized it had been ten weeks since the last visit to a colorist and what I was seeing was not going to go away and wasn't going to blend in. Now matter how I combed, tucked, or fluffed my hair there was a significant portion of grey showing. Since the cost to visit a NYC hairdresser is equal to a car payment (and I'm talking about a nice car, not a clunker) I'm thinking it is a task I should take over. After all, what are all those boxed hair color aisles at the pharmacy for? I picked a shade I thought would cover nicely and figured worst case I would be wearing a hat, a big hat, until I could get in to see my much more reasonably priced hairdresser at home. It turned out not bad, but not great either. Maybe I should consider which shade of grey I can live with and just give in.

Nah.


No comments:

Post a Comment