Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wait! I Have a Card For That!

Friends and family have become used to receiving inappropriate cards from me.  No, not THAT kind of inappropriate. I'm talking about greeting cards that pop up in their mailbox out of the blue for no apparent reason denoting an occasion they aren't celebrating or a feeling they are not experiencing.

I have always enjoyed picking up "just in case" cards. Hallmark knows this because I was a card carrying (literally) Gold Crown member. I was rewarded for picking up cards on a whim! I was at the top of my game when I found the perfect card for someone.  But I also wanted cards handy and ready to go. Sympathy, Thinking of You, Thank You, Happy Birthday, cards that have flower seeds embedded in the paper, blank cards, and cards celebrating each and every holiday.
Cards telling you to pick up your room, that I'm a good listener, that the dating scene leaves something to be desired, and to let you know we are far apart - as if you didn't already know that if you're receiving that card. How long has it been since you celebrated St. Patrick's Day with a card? I have one! "On St. Patrick's Day, which would you rather kiss, me or the Blarney Stone?"
The problem is the occasion passes, their situation changes, or my mood shifts. (No I am NOT feeling "Love me ten-deer" as it says on the front of one Christmas card sporting reindeer with hearts over their heads.) I know for a fact I have kept some of these cards for over 30 years. It's time to let go.

I have three baskets full of cards I plan to distribute to all my friends, family, and acquaintances around the country. You may not feel like getting a new job, being sick, or having surgery just to get a card from me and that's the beauty of it. You don't have to! I'll send you the card Just Because. As a matter of fact I think I have a card here somewhere that says just that. Or you could be finding this card in your mailbox soon:

Open it up and it says: "Gawd, don't you just hate slow drying roll-ons...


Daily Downsizing Tally: Well, I think I'll send some cards!



No comments:

Post a Comment