Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Being Bussed the NYC Way


Before I moved to NYC I had ridden on public transportation busses by myself, uh, never. No, that's not true. I took one in New Orleans. I remember it well because everyone looked at me as I boarded and recognized I clearly was not a daily bus commuter. Unsteadily walking down the aisle I quickly found a window seat so I would have a good view of the street signs and started consulting a paper map. I must have looked uncomfortable with my bussing skills because two little Southern ladies (i.e. gracious to the core) took pity on me and gave me recommendations on where I should disembark to tour one of their lovely cemeteries. Now I can bus with the best.



Typically people getting on and off the busses don't pay attention to one another other than to secure a seat, then many promptly bury their nose in the electronic device of their choice. Usually there are earbuds involved so there is no need to look at OR listen to fellow riders. Unlike the subway, no one plays instruments, sings, quotes poetry, or preaches in the aisle during the commute so people NOT on an electronic device are then free to look out the window, sleep (which I find amazing because I know I would end up in New Jersey if I did that), or daydream.



The surprise for me when taking ANY mode of transportation in NYC is how long it takes to arrive at my destination, but that's especially true about bus travel. When you are only progressing two blocks between each stop there are many times when hoofing it will get you there faster. And, bless their hearts, I'm amazed at the number of people with walkers, wheelchairs, and canes who are able to navigate the city with the assistance of the lifts on the busses. 

Being bussed around the city certainly beats the headache of dealing with car traffic, exorbitant parking rates, and hard to find parking spots plus I can daydream with the best of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment