Friday, March 23, 2012

It's Friday So It Must Be Movie Day

Oh, we do love our Fridays! Mr Y. is ready to take a break from work and I'm ready for some movie popcorn (no butter, please). I used to save the  movie stubs (see pic left) but I finally gave that up when I mentally calculated that I could be getting frequent massages and spa treatments for what we were spending on the movies.

When we first moved to College Town we would drive 45 minutes to a big movie complex every weekend just because we didn't like sitting with our knees under our chins at the local theater. Now we've decided gas prices on top of movie ticket prices is just too much of an extravagance, so we tuck our legs up and make the best of it. My recent favorite movie theatre experience was when we were in Houston, had some downtime on a rainy weekday afternoon, and watched a movie by ourselves in a 600 seat theatre. I am not kidding. A private screening. Awesome.

The last couple of years it has turned into our Friday late afternoon date. What better way to transition into the weekend than sitting in a dark theater and shutting the rest of the world out? You have to turn your cell phones off (personal AND business) so no texting and no sneaking peeks at e-mail. Given the hours Mr Y puts in on Sunday evening writing up his Monday agenda and his travel schedule it's pretty much two hours of guilt free "trade time" late on Friday afternoons. Besides we wouldn't want to miss the matinee prices! (And there IS a small senior discount that starts at 55 but I won't say which one of us gets to capitalize on that.)

I would say I've never been to a movie that I haven't liked but that would not be true. There are movies I have hated (as in "I want those two hours back WITH popcorn and Mild Duds, please) and movies I have loved. Rarely is there a movie I won't go to unless it's the horror genre. Count me out. If I'm going to pay for a movie it is sort of pointless to have my hands over my eyes the whole time. I enjoy animation, 3-D, and romantic comedies. When it comes to chick flicks I have a dear friend that will accompany me. Both of our husbands give us "The Look" during movie preview trailers which tells us we'd better be calling each other because our husbands will not be going to THOSE movies.

Today it is The Hunger Games if we can score a ticket. I have no idea if the theatre will be full or half empty given that it's spring break AND the College Town teams (girls and boys) are playing in the Sweet 16 this weekend. We are certainly going to give it a shot. How else would we get a great start to our weekend?

DOWNSIZING TALLY - The lawn furniture is sold and being picked up tonight. We will get more items posted on Craigslist this weekend. I've even recommended we start packing so we don't have a mad scramble when the house sells. We will see how that pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment